The Seneca Nation occupied the land prior to the early settlers who started farming the area in the early 1800’s. In 1928 Monroe County purchased 550 acres from the Russell, Parks and Wolf families and called it Northwest Park. In 1931, Hamlin Beach became a county park and it was a popular destination to enjoy the sandy beaches and lakefront.
From 1935-1941, the area on Moscow Road became the home of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp S.P. 53. They built the park roads, seawalls, shelters, trails, comfort stations, drinking fountains, fireplaces and shelter 1, 3 and the park concession stand.
In 1933 an expressway was proposed to connect the residents of Rochester to the County Park in Hamlin and was called the Lake Ontario State Parkway. It was completed in 1961.
In 1938 Monroe County and the State reached an agreement after six years of negotiations. The State wanted title without compensation to Monroe County. Monroe County acquired the title in exchange for 60 acres at Webster Park. Hamlin Beach State Park was established.
The popularity of the park continued to flourish. In 1938 the gate fee was $0.25. In 1939 a concrete jetty was constructed to prevent the erosion of the beach area. The original bathhouse was completed in 1940.
In the 1940’s the abandoned CCC site got a second life and became housing for migrant workers to assist at the local farms. But the migrants only used the camp for one summer – the summer of 42. The first year after the closing, the camp was vacant and a grounds keeper was hired to watch over it. The migrants used church basements, etc. for housing for a year before it was noticed that there was a vacant CCC camp in the area.
From 1943-1945 the CCC site was used as a Prisoner of War (POW) camp. Barbed wire fence and guard towers were erected. Prisoners worked for local farmers and canning factories.
Devil’s Nose (west end of Area 5) was purchased in 1960.
In 1967 a recreational campground was constructed and is located away from the beach in the pine plantations and hardwood forests. Each campsite had electricity. Site rental was $1.75/night.
In 1968 the west bluff (Area 4) was completed.
In 1973 a large storm eroded the beaches so severely that jetties were built and sand fill was brought in by the Army Corps of Engineers.
In 1999, a rock barrier was constructed by the US Army Corp of Engineers to prevent further erosion of the west side of Yanty Marsh. In 2017 an observation platform and boardwalk were constructed over the marsh. The wall was started in 1998 (October – December) and it was called completed after the surrounding area was put back in order early in 1999.
In 2008 Ed Evans met with Park Manager, Marty Howden, who asked Ed to see if he could rediscover the old CCC/POW camp and create a nature trail. A group of dedicated volunteers cleared over 60 years of overgrowth, led by Ed Evans. Special recognition goes to Ed Evans, Sue Evans, Nick Kramer, Walt Fisher, Jesse Evans and Dan Wilson along with the many other volunteers.
In 2012 the Friends of Hamlin Beach State Park became incorporated as a not for profit 501 (c)(3). They have contributed thousands of volunteer hours to beautify the park and support various park programs.
In 2024, our first environmental educators were hired and they have had a positive impact on the programs offered throughout the park and at other parks in the Genesee region.
In 2025, a project has begun to revitalize the shoreline in Area 1 that was harmed during the high waters of 2017 and 2019. This will make it safer and more accessible and have better control of water erosion in the area.



